PB Durham is back with a whole new look and feel! Last cycle, over 10,000 Durham residents participated in PB Durham by submitting ideas, serving as budget delegates, and voting on community projects for "one-time" projects. This Cycle, things will be a little different. In response to feedback from our Cycle 1 evaluation and based upon the current climate PB Durham Cycle 2 has a new scope.
This year, PB Durham has formed a grant fund program that will support local efforts to strengthen the community's social and economic fabric by offering COVID- relief assistance to communities in Durham. Durham City Council approved $1 million for Durham based nonprofit and community organizations who are directly serving those residents impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and addressing issues contributing to racial, economic, and social injustices in Durham.
Each Durham based non-profit and/or community organization are eligible to receive up to $50,000 of grant funding to help respond to communities impacted by COVID and any underlying issues impacted underserved communities in Durham. The grants should be used to provide services or programming in the community that’s most adversely impacted.
Below is a tentative schedule of activities for PB Durham Cycle 2.
- November 2020-January 2021 - Gather Feedback & Priority Areas- a community survey will be conducted to determine the priority areas for funding.
- January- February 2021- Grant Application Opens- City staff will hold virtual grant writing workshops working with nonprofits, community organizations and the internal staff committee to submit viable grant applications.
- February 2021- March 2021-Proposal Development- the internal staff committee and budget delegates will review and score proposals based on feasibility, legality, and vet overall project budgets.
- April 2021- Voting- City of Durham residents and students 13 years and older will have the opportunity to vote on project proposals.
- May 2021- Grant recipients are announced- grant recipients will be announced and begin to draft contracts and coordinate dissemination of funds to appropriate departments and project sponsors. Funds would be made available beginning July 1 2021.
Stay tuned for more information and a chance to participate in the process. This webpage will be updated weekly with important information related to the program. For questions, please contact email PB Durham at PBDurham@durhamnc.gov or call (984) 227-3395.